This recipe is kindly provides to us by Rousopouli local, Mrs Roula Lada.
It is relatively easy, you can give it a go and bring some Limnos love and flavor to your X-mas table.
Δίπλες της μαμάς ή “λουλούδια” // Mum’s ‘diples’ or traditional Limnos ‘flowers’
- -5 eggs
- -1 spoonful butter
- -1 small spoon baking soda
- -half a glass of Limnos ouzo (or your prefered anise flavoured alcohol)
- -lemon zest from 1 lemon (the skin)
- -2 small spoons of mastiha
- 1 kg of Limnos flour (or regular flour if you can’t find it 🙂
Beat the eggs and slowly add the rest of the ingredients until you get a tight textured mix. Then you can either pass the dough through a pasta machine, or spread it out in very thin layers with a rolling pin, the traditional way.
Then, you use your imagination and form braids or shapes with the cut dough.
Once you are ready, you place the ‘flowers’ into a pot of hot cooking oil, until they start forming ‘bubbles’.
You remove them, put them on a plate and sprinkle them with some fine powdered sugar.
(video from foodaholics.gr)